Individual Instruction: A Day at SMFF
Date: Contact us to coordinate schedules for a full day on a Tuesday or Friday.
Location: Sunny Meadows Flower Farm
This option is great for those that need more than just an hour farmer consultation. You choose the focus from the list below, based on your farm's individual needs:
1. Starting a Flower Farm: Assessing your Markets, Sales Projections, Crop Planning, and Beginning Budgeting. Bring your computer, any plans you have for the business, crop plans, and sales breakdown so we can assess what you've already got going for you. Tour of the two farm locations included so we can take a break from all the Excel worksheets. This option is good for those folks just getting started, and will be a pretty intense office day.
2. The Business of Flower Farming: Cash Flow, Budgeting, Scaling Your Business, Assessing Debt Obligation, and Enterprise Budgets. Bring your computer, any plans you have for the business, crop plans, and sales breakdown so we can assess what you've already got going for you. Tour of the two farm locations included so we can take a break from all the Excel worksheets. This option is designed for those that have been farming for at least 3 years and are looking to grow their business.
3. Scaling Your Business: Utilizing Financing for Growth, Managing Employees and Leadership, Production Strategy and Work Flow, Mechanical Cultivation, Equipment, and Infrastructure. See how we have standardized our systems and stopped using plastic in our fields for annual production through the use of mechanical cultivation. We'll share how we've grown the business being first-generation farmers. This will be a day assessing crop plans and walking through equipment sheds, so would also be ideal for those that have been farming for at least 3 years and are looking to scale up production.
4. Wedding Floral Design: Wedding Contracts, Email Communications, Floral Design, and Floral Installations. Come hang in the studio while we work on a wedding so you can shadow us through each step. We'll show you the techniques we use for each type of design we are working on, as well as discuss contracts, email communications, and floral installations. Bring your snips or knife, because you'll be making some designs of your own as we work through each step. This option is good for any skill level.
5. Crop Specifics: Succession Planting, Harvest Methods, Post-Harvest Care, Bouquet Production, and Season Extension. We'll talk scheduling bloom time, crops that fit into your sales market, bunch sizes, and pricing structure. Bring your computer, any plans you have for the business, crop plans, and sales breakdown so we can assess what you've already got going for you. Tour of the two farm locations included so we can take a break from all the Excel worksheets. This option is good for any skill level.
Share our class experience on social media and tag us in your posts: #smffteaches IG: @sunnymeadowsflowerfarm
We'll break for lunch from 12-1, so bring something with you to eat, or plan to visit our local BBQ stand or Thai restaurant nearby. The day will go from 8-4, so you'll get 7 hours of instruction total.
We've separated the days in this way so it isn't an overflow of information trying to cover everything at once. If you think you need to cover multiple topics, schedule more than one day and we can coordinate schedules. Sending us information about your farm before we meet is also helpful, so after you schedule, send us some more information about you so we can prepare some more content tailored specifically to your needs.
This class is held at Sunny Meadows Flower Farm, only 6 miles from downtown Columbus. Contact us if you are coming from out of town and need help finding lodging or city guide recommendations, there are lots of great places to eat!
We suggest coming during the farm season so you can see full production, but we understand that may be difficult if you are already farming.
Coming with a friend or interested in more than one class? When you buy them together, or attend 2 or more classes, you receive a 10% discount. To take advantage of this discount, you must put two or more classes in your shopping cart before checking out. Then use the discount code ALLTHECLASSES to receive the 10% off.
No refunds are available for cancellations, however it can be exchanged for another class of same price, up to 2 weeks before the class.
Steve and Gretel have been farming now for 11 years and have learned a lot starting from scratch here on our farm. We've both been working on the farm now full time year round for 7 years, and now also employee lots of folks: 17 employees in the summer, and then 6 employees in the winter. We've been presenting at farm conferences since 2013, and have written 30 articles for Growing for Market. Teaching is something that is very important to us, helping grow the domestic flower market, and allowing folks to learn from farm mentors as we did. Our advice is to: join the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers (ASCFG), attend farm conferences, read a ton, and visit as many farms as possible!