Farmer Consultation: One Hour
Date: All consultations will be done over the phone or via Skype/Facetime during COVID. Contact us to schedule a time. We will resume on-farm consultations once it is safe.
Location: Sunny Meadows Flower Farm
This option is a great place to start for those that need guidance on one topic. You choose the focus based on your farm's individual needs. Whether you are trying to make a decision about what greenhouse to purchase, need financial advice, want to nail down your succession planning for crops, or anything else! We always say we are lucky that there were two of us to start this business together as we have each other to bounce ideas off of. And when it's something we aren't sure of, we always reach out for help from our mentors and other farmers who offer consultation services. Let us know how SMFF can help you!
There are a wide range of topics possible, below just some of them are listed (we tried to categorize them just for ease of deciding what works best for you):
1. Starting a Flower Farm: Assessing your Markets, Sales Projections, Crop Planning, and Beginning Budgeting. These topics are good for those folks just getting started.
2. The Business of Flower Farming: Cash Flow, Budgeting, Scaling Your Business, Assessing Debt Obligation, and Enterprise Budgets. This option is designed for those that have been farming for at least 3 years and are looking to grow their business.
3. Scaling Your Business: Utilizing Financing for Growth, Managing Employees and Leadership, Production Strategy and Work Flow, Mechanical Cultivation, Equipment, and Infrastructure. These are advanced topics, so would also be ideal for those that have been farming for at least 3 years and are looking to scale up production.
4. Wedding Floral Design: Wedding Contracts, Email Communications, Floral Design, and Floral Installations.
5. Crop Specifics: Succession Planting, Harvest Methods, Post-Harvest Care, Bouquet Production, and Season Extension.
Don't see what you were thinking listed on here? Just let us know what you were thinking and we'll tailor this hour to your specific needs.
Share our class experience on social media and tag us in your posts: #smffteaches IG: @sunnymeadowsflowerfarm
Since this is only one hour, it won't include a full tour of the farm if you come to us. You may see pieces of it if we're talking equipment or barn setup, but you are welcome to walk yourself around afterwards. Or if you are interested in a full farm tour of both locations, please schedule that as one hour.
Coming with a friend or think you need more than one hour to cover everything? We can definitely do that! When you buy them together, or attend 2 or more classes, you receive a 10% discount. To take advantage of this discount, you must put two or more classes in your shopping cart before checking out. Then use the discount code ALLTHECLASSES to receive the 10% off. Just put as many in your cart as hours you would like to purchase, and then email us so we can schedule
Sending us information about your farm before we meet is also helpful, so after you schedule, send us some more information about you so we can prepare some more content tailored specifically to your needs.
Steve and Gretel have been farming since 2006 and have learned a lot starting from scratch here on our farm. We've both been working on the farm now full time year round for 7 years, and now also employee lots of folks: 17 employees in the summer, and then 6 employees in the winter. We've been presenting at farm conferences since 2013, and have written 30 articles for Growing for Market. Teaching is something that is very important to us, helping grow the domestic flower market, and allowing folks to learn from farm mentors as we did. Our advice is to: join the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers (ASCFG), attend farm conferences, read a ton, and visit as many farms as possible!